Thursday 28 June 2012

Le tour de France


This weekend my favourite sporting event is about to begin. For many years now, I have been an avid supporter of Le Tour de France. My boys are all enthusiastic cyclists and we have been watching the beautiful spectacle that is the tour on SBS television since they were babes. Watching this event was in fact how I fell so totally in love with the French countryside and many places that we have since visited have been "marked" on the map due to watching The Tour.




The Tour began in 1903 when it was a five stage race organised by editor Henri Desgrange to lift circulation of his newpaper L'Auto. It was a gruelling event with each stage being raced through the night.The format has changed over the years, but the race is still a huge physical endeavour now lasting twenty-one stages, criss-crossing the magnificent french countryside.The finish though has always been in Paris.


My map and french dictionary will be beside me over the next few weeks as I watch the drama of this event unfold each evening.
Have a lovely weekend. Andrina x



No comments:

Post a Comment